- n someone who holds slaves
- My father was a Negro slaveholder in Virginia, but I do not have to uphold Negro slavery in order to revere his memory.
- Son of a scholarly, war-impoverished Tennessee slaveholder, stringy, hard-jawed Hatton Sumners, 63, is a self-taught authority on law and history (specialty: the 13th Century).
- Statesman Calhoun amplified and clarified the theory of State's Rights, clashed over it with Daniel Webster in a famed debate in 1833, brought it to bear (he was a slaveholder .
News & Articles
- TELEVISION: 'Hell'-bent on turning over a new leaf
“Hell on Wheels” has brought a lot of fire and brimstone to viewers’ screens in the first two seasons, with Cullen Bohannon (Anson Mount), a former soldier and slaveholder, bent on avenging the murder of his family as he works building the transcontinental railroad, heading West.
Aug. 23, 2013 - The San Angelo Standard-Times
- Orlando Patterson in MarketWatch
What Jackson the slaveholder left undone, this historic election cycle has finished, whatever the outcome on Tuesday,Patterson writes. "It's now clear that blacks and women are ready, able and poised to lead the nation."
- Rick Santorum in NewsMax.com
This was tried once before in America. ...... But unlike abortion today, in most states even the slaveholder did not have the unlimited right to kill his slave,Santorum said.
- Jon Meacham in Seattle Times
He was the most contradictory of men,Meacham writes. "A champion of extending freedom and democracy to even the poorest of whites, Jackson was an unrepentant slaveholder. A sentimental man who rescued an Indian orphan on a battlefield to...