- v avoid and stay away from deliberately; stay clear of
- v expel from a community or group
- You already drink organic milk, buy free-range chicken and shun foie gras.
- Unlike contemporary bands, fifers and drummers shun all modern innovations.
- Like certain Amish and Mennonite groups, Jehovah's Witnesses practice shunning: believers are required to treat as pariahs those who have been ousted from the sect.
News & Articles
- A Simple Look at Gold’s ‘Technicals’
We’ll shun jargon today and make it as simple as we can for bulls who have patiently stood by gold since it began its long dirge nearly two years ago.
June 18, 2013 - GoldSeek.com
- Eric L. Wattree: A Black Republican Makes No More Sense Than a Jewish Nazi
*Many Black conservatives make the racist claim that Black people shun the Republican Party because the Democratic Party gives them a free ride, and let them sit back on welfare all of their lives. That position is not only idiotic but, ironically, reflective of the actual reason that Black people keep the Republican Party at [...]
June 18, 2013 - EURweb
- EU divided before G-8 meeting
Divided on how to revive its stagnant economy and protect its culture from a feared onslaught by Hollywood, Europe must shun “reactionary” opposition to globalization, the head of the European Union’s executive arm said in a strikingly robust critique of French-led efforts to limit the scope of a trade pact with the United States.
June 17, 2013 - Boston Globe
- Rush Limbaugh in International Herald Tribune
The people on our side are making a real mistake if they go after Bobby Jindal,Limbaugh said. "We cannot shun politicians who speak for our beliefs just because we don't like the way he says it."
- Jim Leach in Boston Herald
He also recognizes that it's preferable to speak with potential adversaries rather than simply shun them,Leach said.
- Pope Benedict XVI in Sydney Morning Herald
May the divine light of Bethlehem radiate throughout the Holy Land, (bringing) forth rich fruit from the efforts of all those who (shun) the twisted logic of conflict and violence,Pope Benedict XVI said in his traditional address in St...