- n a member of a sect
most sectarians are intolerant of the views of any other sect
- a of or relating to or characteristic of a sect or sects
- a belonging to or characteristic of a sect
a sectarian mind
the negations of sectarian ideology"- Sidney Hook
sectarian squabbles in psychology
- In a bid for re-election, the Prime Ministerial candidate cut across the sectarian divide and tried to woo the entire constituency.
- Sectarian violence has engendered a huge refugee problem for the neighboring state.
- Sectarian purging has galvanized the international community into rushing peace keeping force into the area.
News & Articles
- Fareed Zakaria's case against U.S. involvement in Syria
Is he right that a sectarian bloodletting is going to happen whether we try to stop it or not?
June 17, 2013 - Washington Post
- Hamas urges former ally Hezbollah to leave Syria
RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) — The Palestinian militant group Hamas on Monday urged Lebanon's Hezbollah militia to withdraw its fighters from Syria and accused it of stoking sectarian tensions, leveling unprecedented public criticism against a former ally.
June 17, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Kuwait parliament condemns sectarian rhetoric over Syria
KUWAIT (Reuters) - Kuwait's parliament on Thursday condemned attempts to use the crisis in Syria to stoke sectarian tensions, calling for the government to crack down on "extremist behavior" and rhetoric in the Gulf Arab state. The statement appeared to be a response to an anti-Hezbollah demonstration outside the Lebanese Embassy in Kuwait on Tuesday where a Sunni Muslim cleric gave a fiery ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- President Bush in International Herald Tribune
There's a lot of sectarian violence taking place, fomented, in my opinion, because of the attacks by Al Qaeda, causing people to seek reprisal,Mr. Bush said, adding that he planned to work with Mr. Maliki "to defeat these elements."
- John Paul Stevens in Lompoc Record
In his dissent, Judge John Paul Stevens wrote that there's nothing wrong with honoring soldiers in that manner, but the government "cannot lawfully do so by continued endorsement of a starkly sectarian message."
- Tony Blair in International Herald Tribune
The next president must explain how he or she intends to bring that war to the swiftest possible conclusion without exacerbating a sectarian conflict that could quickly descend into genocide, destabilizing the entire Middle East, and enabling our... John McCain http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEhauRSvpu74c5JI21AhXVu-x_kmQ CNSNews.com http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp%3FPage%3D/Politics/archive/200803/POL20080305e.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFzvDOTyXWMXu2K6jVaUV25ZUK8SQ Mar 5, 2008
87370 116825 sectarianism British Prime Minister Tony Blair said Tuesday that the conference was shocking beyond belief" and called the conference "a symbol of sectarianism and hatred."