- s derived from what is primary or original; not firsthand
a secondhand report
a secondhand account of a memory of something once read
most of our knowledge is secondhand
- s previously used or owned by another
bought a secondhand (or used) car
- r by indirect means
I heard about it only secondhand or thirdhand
he prefers to buy secondhand
- Adding to the mounting evidence against secondhand smoke, a new study links it to an increased risk of dementia in adults.
- A study by researchers in Oregon finds that secondhand smoke increases the levels of a known carcinogen in waitstaff and bartenders at a surprisingly fast rate.
- That means secondhand shops can sell for just $7 a month-old shirt that retailed for $21 at Charlotte Russe or Forever 21.
News & Articles
- Body found near Laytonville
Today, June 17, at 7:48 a.m., the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office was contacted by a person who had received secondhand information of a possible homicide at a remote location on Spyrock Road in Laytonville.
June 17, 2013 - Fort Bragg Advocate-News
- Walnut Creek to consider stricter smoking ordinance
The Walnut Creek City Council is expected to consider stricter laws to limit secondhand smoke next week.
June 15, 2013 - KGO-TV Bay Area
- Thrift store shopping becomes cool
Secondhand clothing and vintage items are showing up in couture, street wear, even everyday office wear.
June 11, 2013 - CNN
- Dr Richard Carmona in USA Today
The debate is over,Surgeon General Richard Carmona said in issuing the report Tuesday. "The science is clear. Secondhand smoke is not a mere annoyance but a serious health hazard."
- Nancy Pelosi in Washington Post
The days of smoke-filled rooms in the United States Capitol are over,Pelosi said. "Medical science has unquestionably established the dangerous effects of secondhand smoke, including an increased risk of cancer and respiratory diseases. I...
- Margaret Chan in International Herald Tribune
The evidence is clear. There is no safe level of exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke,said Dr. Margaret Chan, director-general of the World Health Organization.