- n a condition caused by deficiency of ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
- s of the most contemptible kind
a scurvy trick
- Balanced rations for two years should have prevented any outbreak of scurvy.
- Once on his own, he leaps into the grasping arms of a scurvy American merchant seaman (John Malkovich).
- As fer yer scurvy, fever 'rack'd musin's, I be thinkin' what God be givin' ye fer brains got tossed in the scuppers:.
News & Articles
- Perching on the cliffs of New Zealand, endemic Lepidium flora faces extinction threats
( Pensoft Publishers ) Cooks Scurvy Grass (Lepidium oleraceum) has an international claim to fame as the plant most commonly used by Captain James Cook and other 18th century explorers as an antiscorbutic. Formerly widespread on the beaches and cliffs of New Zealand, the species was by 1900 already widely acknowledged as uncommon. A detailed revision, published in the open access journal ...
June 17, 2013 - EurekAlert!
- Michelle Monaghan in The Australian
The only craving I have is fruit,Monaghan told AAP. "I've never eaten fruit in my life. My house now looks like a fruit stand. I joke I must have suffered from scurvy the last 15 years."
- Robert Falcon Scott in Outside Online
It wasn't faulty logistics that did Scott in, writes Crane, "not arrogance, not stupidity, not the fifth man, not scurvy, but the weather."
- Annie Lennox in Times Online
I can't understand why it [feminism] has become such a scurvy word,says Lennox. "I find that odd. I think people are a little scared to use it. I'm not. I'm saying it loud and strong. When I go to poor countries and see women labouring in...