- v clean refuse from
- v collect discarded or refused material
She scavenged the garbage cans for food
- v feed on carrion or refuse
- v remove unwanted substances from
- At a Red Cross outpost, artificial legs rain from the sky in parachutes dropped from a plane, and the legless Afghani men race out of the tents to scavenge for them.
- Lacson describes politics as "a way to see the world through a garbage can," and he has made enemies among those who scavenge there.
- With power supplies getting tighter around the world, scientists are looking to scavenge extra energy from heat, rainstorms even footsteps.
News & Articles
- Autonomous energy-scavenging micro devices will test water quality, monitor bridges, more
Researchers are using photonics in their quest to "bring the lab to the sample," developing sophisticated micro instruments that scavenge power from sunlight, body heat, or other sources, for uses such as monitoring water quality or assessing bridge safety.
June 13, 2013 - Science Daily
- Park Ridge Police chief looks into trash-scavenger crackdown
Park Ridge Police Chief Frank Kaminski is exploring new ways to regulate what has become a booming business, but one that is also taken advantage of by thieves: trash scavenging. After receiving phone calls from residents who have complained about scavengers taking items that were clearly not meant for the garbage truck, Kaminski discussed the issue with city department heads on June 10 and ...
June 13, 2013 - Park Ridge Herald-Advocate
- Al Gore in Financial Times
However, Mr Gore said: "This prize is aimed at something different: after it's already put in the atmosphere, is there some innovative approach that you scavenge it from the atmosphere."
- Vladimir Putin in Moscow News
There are still people in our country who scavenge near foreign embassies like jackals, who begs at the doors of diplomats' offices, who count on the support of foreign funds and governments but not the support of their own people,Putin said...
- Georgi Parvanov in Sofia Echo
Whatever the ghetto was 30 years ago, it is still exactly the same. There is no canalisation, running water, people still scavenge rubbish bins,said Orlin Parvanov, a company manager.