- n formal and explicit approval
- n a mechanism of social control for enforcing a society's standards
- n official permission or approval
- n the act of final authorization
it had the sanction of the church
- v give sanction to
- v give authority or permission to
- v give religious sanction to, such as through on oath
- The Obama Administration's press for deeper sanctions against Iran hasn't alarmed Tehran -- perhaps because the Iranians know the tactic has had checkered results.
- Even as Western governments weigh sanctions, Tehran has been signing multibillion-dollar contracts with Beijing to keep Iran's economy running.
- Because sanctions are what Pretoria fears most, said Gray, they are the best bet for getting South Africa to act.
News & Articles
- EU fines Lundbeck and others 146 million euros for blocking rival drugs
By Foo Yun Chee BRUSSELS (Reuters) - European antitrust regulators fined nine drugmakers, including Denmark's Lundbeck, a total of 146 million euros ($195 million) for blocking the supply of a cheaper anti-depressant to the market, the first EU sanction against such deals. The punishments follow a 2009 report by the European Commission on the pharmaceutical sector, which said "pay-for-delay ...
June 19, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- MMA Bill in New York Does Not Go to Vote in State Assembly
Sadly for fight fans in New York, it will be at least another year until professional mixed marital arts is finally legalized in the state. Newsday reported on Tuesday that the bill to sanction professional MMA in New York would, for the fourth year straight, not be going to the State Assembly floor for a full vote. According to Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, a noted opponent of the bill who ...
June 19, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- NCAA seeks to have suit over Penn State fine money tossed
Attorneys for college sports governing body argue that attempt to keep the $60 million in Pennsylvania is fatally flawed. HARRISBURG — Weeks after defeating one lawsuit over its Penn State fine, the NCAA was back in court Wednesday arguing that a state court should reject an effort to keep in Pennsylvania the $60 million sanction over the Jerry Sandusky sex-abuse scandal.
June 19, 2013 - The Morning Call
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in ABC News
We are not happy with them making this big mistake. They are now in the hands of our judiciary,Ahmadinejad said. "A judge will decide about their situation. We hope the sanction will not be too heavy."
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in Examiner.com
Further, Clinton said that "we understand that right now it seems counterproductive to you to sanction a country from which you get so much of the natural resources your growing economy needs."
- Yuri Luzhkov in guardian.co.uk
In a TV appearance, Mr Luzhkov said: "Last year, Moscow came under unprecedented pressure to sanction the gay parade, which can be described in no other way than as satanic. We did not let the parade take place then, and we are not going to allow it...