- n an act of honor or courteous recognition
a musical salute to the composer on his birthday
- n a formal military gesture of respect
- n an act of greeting with friendly words and gestures like bowing or lifting the hat
- v propose a toast to
- v greet in a friendly way
I meet this men every day on my way to work and he salutes me
- v express commendation of
I salute your courage!
- v become noticeable
a terrible stench saluted our nostrils
- v honor with a military ceremony, as when honoring dead soldiers
- v recognize with a gesture prescribed by a military regulation; assume a prescribed position
When the officers show up, the soldiers have to salute
- The President seems unsure when to salute at the July 24 Evening parade at the Marine Corps Barracks in Washington.
- Instead of giving Adolf Hitler the masculine Nazi salute with outstretched arm, German women began last week by official instruction to give the Fhrer a new "feminine.
- Representative Sol Bloom of Manhattan, having been abroad on the streets of Washington on Memorial Day, introduced a bill in Congress to require all citizens to salute the Star .
News & Articles
- Salute You Scholarship to Place Thousands of Returning Troops on Promising New Career Path in Red Hot Industry
SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today the American Council on Exercise (ACE) launched a new program to give thousands of men and women leaving the U.S. Armed Forces the opportunity to continue to serve their nation in an important new way. The ACE Salute You™ Scholarship will prepare honorably discharged military personnel to start an all-new career as an ACE-certified personal trainer, a respected ...
June 12, 2013 - Business Wire
- Chairman of Memorial Day Salute Committee Says Thanks for the Support
As chairman of the 2013 Memorial Day Salute Committee, I would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to everyone involved in making the 32nd Fulton Memorial Day Salute a huge success. Continue reading ? The post Chairman of Memorial Day Salute Committee Says Thanks for the Support appeared first on Oswego County Today .
June 11, 2013 - Oswego County Today
June 10, 2013 - The Victoria Advocate
- Robert Gates in Wall Street Journal
Speaking for the Department of Defense, once the commander in chief makes his decisions, we will salute and execute those decisions faithfully and to the best of our ability,Mr. Gates said to the annual gathering of the Association of the...
- Asamoah Gyan in Contra Costa Times
Every African is behind us,Gyan said. "I salute all you guys. We win this match for you."
- President Bush in ABC News
I'm fired up to go. I can't wait to salute our athletes and I can't wait to share in the joy of your triumphs,Bush told the Olympians. "And so today we send you off with congratulations on the success you have already achieved and on the...