sailor : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n any member of a ship's crew
- n a serviceman in the navy
- n a stiff hat made of straw with a flat crown
- The young "sailor Prince," as he was called, agreed only if the people of Norway confirmed his choice in a national plebiscite.
- Coco introduced the tricot sailor frock and the pullover sweater, unearthed wool jersey from its longtime service as underwear fabric and put it to use in soft, clinging dresses.
- A bespectacled sailor with a mild manner, Truitt calmly recounted his escape from the burning turret.
News & Articles
- Sailor earns prestigious Stennis Award
Arjen Lagendijk, president of the Mississippi Council of Navy League, presents the Stennis Award to Ship Serviceman Seaman Courtney Cummings during graduation ceremonies at Naval Technical Training Center on board Naval Air Station Meridian, Miss., June 14, 2013. Seaman Cummings is only the third Sailor to earn this prestigious award in the past 2 ½ years.
June 15, 2013 - The Meridian Star
- Ex-sailor sentenced for stealing $146K in headsets
A former sailor was sentenced Wednesday to 90 days in jail on charges he stole more than $146,000 worth of tactical communication headsets from his old unit.
June 13, 2013 - Stars and Stripes
- Missing Fla. sailor may be in Charlotte area
Police believe a sailor missing from Florida may be in the Charlotte area. Kevin Williams disappeared after a fight with his wife at a Jacksonville, Fla., mall on May 28. He was wearing military blue camouflage. The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office said it is working on a tip that Williams may be near Charlotte or Fayetteville. Williams’ wife said he is a Chief Petty Officer and recruiter for the ...
June 12, 2013 - WSOC-TV Charlotte
- Robert Gates in AFP
We have many terrorists in US prisons today. This started 20 years ago when I was at CIA and we captured a Hezbollah terrorist who had been involved in killing an American sailor on an aircraft that had been taken hostage in Beirut,said...
- John McCain in Washington Post
Ronald Reagan used to say, we spend money like a drunken sailor,said John McCain.
- John Prescott in BBC News
Former merchant seaman Mr Prescott said: "Michael has proved himself another hugely successful sailor in the great British maritime tradition. I have no doubt that the whole country will join me in sending congratulations on this remarkable...