- n the sound of a bell ringing
the ringing of the telephone
the tintinnabulation that so voluminously swells from the ringing and the dinging of the bells"--E. A. Poe
- n the giving of a ring as a token of engagement
- n having the character of a loud deep sound; the quality of being resonant
- v sound loudly and sonorously
- v ring or echo with sound
- v make (bells) ring, often for the purposes of musical edification
- v get or try to get into communication (with someone) by telephone
- v extend on all sides of simultaneously; encircle
- v attach a ring to the foot of, in order to identify
- Fighting Phantom Noise The best defense against tinnitus--an inexplicable ringing or whistling in the ears--is in your mind.
- Change ringing is the most athletic of musical techniques.
- For change-ringing purposes, a set of eight bells (called "Major") ranging from treble to tenor, are numbered one to eight.
News & Articles
- Parkside students rings in a Flag Day history lesson
PARKSIDE — In an effort to resurrect the American tradition of ringing bells to commemorate the signing of the Declaration of Independence, Parkside Elementary School third graders, Friday morning, participated in a video encouraging all Americans to celebrate our freedom by ringing bells, tapping glass, or shaking keys at 2 p.m. on the Fourth of July.
June 15, 2013 - Delaware County Daily Times
- Wesley Bell choir celebrates 50 years of ringing true
Wesley Bell choir celebrates 50 years of ringing true by Leann Burke The Salt Lake Tribune Published Jun 14, 2013 10:02PM MDT Lights glinted off the brass bells in Christ United Methodist Church as music filled the sanctuary. The bells — more than 50 of them — melded seamlessly into a single song. It’s these young musicians’ time to shine and chime (and fix even the tiniest of glitches) as they ...
June 14, 2013 - The Salt Lake Tribune
- Texas gov. signs 'Merry Christmas' bill into law
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Surrounded by sleigh bell-ringing Santa Claus impersonators, Gov. Rick Perry on Thursday signed a law protecting Christmas and other holiday celebrations in Texas public schools from legal challenges — but also stressed that freedom of religion is not the same thing as freedom from religion.
June 14, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- John McCain in New York Times
I read the speech that Senator McCain gave the other day which set forth his plan which does virtually nothing to ease the credit crisis or the housing crisis,Mrs. Clinton said. "It seems like if the phone were ringing, he would just let...
- Sir Alex Ferguson in ESPN
What can anyone say? It is a terrible black mark against the FA,Ferguson told MUTV. "A lot of people have been ringing about it because it is the most incredible decision in my time at this club. The FA have done many things but this is...
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in KOB.com
The phone is ringing, and he would just let it ring and ring,Clinton said, echoing the "3 am phone call" TV ad she used earlier to suggest she was more qualified than Obama to handle a national security crisis.