- v put down by force or intimidation
- v conceal or hide
- v put out of one's consciousness
- v block the action of
- s characterized by or showing the suppression of impulses or emotions
repressed rage turned his face scarlet
- They realized their mistake once he took the throne upon Franco's death in 1975: within four months he created a sensation by speaking Catalan, which Franco had repressed; within .
- Instability now led the repressed opposition to gain an audience not just with the besieged middle class but among the military and Suharto's own ruling Golkar party as well.
- The Chinese may still be repressed politically, but their sexual behavior has undergone a sweeping liberation.
News & Articles
- Review: The wolf is at the door in 'Cornelius'
NEW YORK (AP) — J.B. Priestley's 1935 play, "Cornelius," directed by Sam Yates, is being presented by Brits Off Broadway at 59E59 Theaters. It's a subtle, old-fashioned drama with comedic undertones, revealing repressed longings among the uneasy staff of a small British aluminum import firm during a terrible economy.
June 12, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Viewing Franz Kafka Through Lens of his Sexuality
If ever there was an author whose works resisted analysis, it’s Franz Kafka. A new book emphasizes the author’s repressed homosexuality and fantasies about boys. Click here for the rest of the article...
June 10, 2013 - The Forward
- John Negroponte in Washington Post
Pressed further by senators on whether the US knows what to expect in Cuba, Negroponte added: "We don't know in large measure because it is a repressive society. They've repressed their opposition so severely over all these years, so people aren't...
- Richard Gere in International Herald Tribune
They've been brutally repressed for 50 years, 55 years, close to six decades,Gere told CNN. "When you repress the people, they will explode. All people will explode."
- Rupert Everett in Banbury Guardian
We're such a world of copycats,Everett told the magazine. "We live in our own kind of Victorian culture: repressed, obsessed with authority - even if it's just the 'authority' of what Posh is wearing. All the problems we have now, they're...