- n a polite refusal of an invitation
- n sadness associated with some wrong done or some disappointment
- v feel remorse for; feel sorry for; be contrite about
- v feel sad about the loss or absence of
- v decline formally or politely
- v express with regret
- Adolf Hitler was so busy in Russia last week that he sent his regrets to the Munich celebration of the Nazi Party's 22nd anniversary.
- FrÃ©dÃ©ric Mitterrand in BBC News
Frederic Mitterrand said he "strongly regrets that a new ordeal is being inflicted on someone who has already experienced so many of them".
- Barack Obama in Boston Herald
None of us are absent some regrets, senator,said President Obama at the funeral. "That's why we enjoy and seek the grace of God."
- Bob Knight in Dallas Morning News
Regrets? Sure, just like the song,Knight said. "I have regrets. I wish I could not necessarily have done things different, I wish I could have done things better."