- n a remark that calls attention to something or someone
the speaker made several references to his wife
- n a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage
- n an indicator that orients you generally
it is used as a reference for comparing the heating and the electrical energy involved
- n a book to which you can refer for authoritative facts
he contributed articles to the basic reference work on that topic
- n a formal recommendation by a former employer to a potential future employer describing the person's qualifications and dependability
requests for character references are all too often answered evasively
- n the most direct or specific meaning of a word or expression; the class of objects that an expression refers to
- n the act of referring or consulting
reference to an encyclopedia produced the answer
- n a publication (or a passage from a publication) that is referred to
he carried an armful of references back to his desk
- n (computer science) the code that identifies where a piece of information is stored
- n the relation between a word or phrase and the object or idea it refers to
he argued that reference is a consequence of conditioned reflexes
- v refer to
he referenced his colleagues' work
- It is a reference, of course, to the white-bearded Ayatullah Khomeini, who is respectfully called Imam Khomeini.
- It works because it has to there aren't enough librarians in the world to look after Flickr's archive of 3 billion photos, much less file them away for future reference.
- Stocks bought without reference to their earnings were being sold without reference to their dividends.
- Randy Neugebauer in Los Angeles Times (blog)
In a statement Neugebauer said that although he remains "heartbroken" about passage of the bill, "I deeply regret that my actions were mistakenly interpreted as a direct reference" to Stupak.
- Bob McDonnell in CNN (blog)
The failure to include any reference to slavery was a mistake, and for that I apologize to any fellow Virginian who has been offended or disappointed,McDonnell said in a written statement. "The abomination of slavery divided our nation,...
- Jose A Cabranes in Seattle Times
Cabranes said the panel's opinion "contains no reference whatsoever to the constitutional claims at the core of this case" and added that "this perfunctory disposition rests uneasily with the weighty issues presented by this appeal."