- n any process in which electrons are added to an atom or ion (as by removing oxygen or adding hydrogen); always occurs accompanied by oxidation of the reducing agent
- n loss of excess weight (as by dieting); becoming slimmer
a doctor supervised her reducing
- v cut down on; make a reduction in
- v make less complex
- v bring to humbler or weaker state or condition
- v simplify the form of a mathematical equation of expression by substituting one term for another
- v lower in grade or rank or force somebody into an undignified situation
- v be the essential element
- v reduce in size; reduce physically
- v lessen and make more modest
- v make smaller
- v to remove oxygen from a compound, or cause to react with hydrogen or form a hydride, or to undergo an increase in the number of electrons
- v narrow or limit
- v put down by force or intimidation
- v undergo meiosis
- v reposition (a broken bone after surgery) back to its normal site
- v destress and thus weaken a sound when pronouncing it
- v reduce in scope while retaining essential elements
- v be cooked until very little liquid is left
- v cook until very little liquid is left
- v lessen the strength or flavor of a solution or mixture
- v take off weight
- Their most important actions are reducing inflammation, reducing the clotting tendency of the blood, improving the profile of fats circulating in the blood, optimizing brain .
- These are the proverbial win-win-win solutions, reducing the pain of $100 trips to the gas station by reducing trips to the gas station.
- But reducing access to abortion isn't the only way to be "pro-life.
News & Articles
- Le Bourget Turns to Small Players
With the big players reducing their budgets for the Paris Air Show, display space vacated by the large companies has been reallocated to small and medium-size businesses.
June 16, 2013 - New York Times
- Far-right candidate pushes out Socialist in French by-election
BORDEAUX, France (Reuters) - A far-right candidate beat France's ruling Socialist party on Sunday to a place in a by-election run-off vote, reducing the government's slim parliamentary majority and highlighting the rise of the National Front. The seat, vacated by former budget minister Jerome Cahuzac, who resigned after admitting to holding a previously undeclared Swiss bank account, will now be ...
June 16, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Reducing Unnecessary CT Scans Can Save Lives
Reducing unnecessary CT scans in children and lowering the doses of radiation used in those scans could save lives.
June 11, 2013 - KREX-TV Grand Junction
- Ben Bernanke in Boston Globe
Reducing the rate of preventable foreclosures would promote economic stability for households, neighborhoods and the nation as a whole,Bernanke said.
- Lawrence Summers in Telegraph.co.uk
We must demonstrate a commitment to reducing long-term deficits but not at the price of short-term growth. Without growth now, deficits will rise further,they wrote.
- Barack Obama in Kevin Sites in the Hot Zone
That's when we begin to say, 'Maybe we won't agree on abortion, but we can still agree that this is a heart-wrenching decision for any woman,'Obama said. "So let us work together to reduce the number of women seeking abortions by reducing...