- n `Johnny' was applied as a nickname for Confederate soldiers by the Federal soldiers in the American Civil War; `greyback' derived from their grey Confederate uniforms
- Their forebears went by other names: doughboys, Yanks, buffalo soldiers, Johnny Reb, Rough Riders.
- The reb els are getting bolder.
- On the other hand, Spender complains, given half a chance student-reb els go all brisk, like "frustrated bureaucrats.
- Mitch Albom in Bucks Local News
The Reb and the pastor took the cynicism out of me,said Albom.
- Robert Khayat in USA Today
People have mostly let go of the past. They've (put) our past to museums, where they belong. We don't have Colonel Reb anymore because it's divisive. We don't wave (the Confederate) flag anymore because it's divisive. We're a modern, culturally... Shepard Smith http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepard_Smith&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNG8yFJcjq6WsqXyAmrFtnxkLEfrzA Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.djournal.com/pages/story.asp%3FID%3D279644%26pub%3D1%26div%3DNews&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEzbw6Tbg42n-ZHsjDU5hj9IT6l2g Sep 25, 2008
80894 108837 reb In 2002 the school's chancellor, Robert Khayat, told the student newspaper, We are and will be Ole Miss. We are and will be the Rebels. We do and will continue to play Dixie. Colonel Reb will be the mascot."