- n the attribute of accepting the facts of life and favoring practicality and literal truth
- n the state of being actual or real
- n (philosophy) the philosophical doctrine that physical objects continue to exist when not perceived
- n an artistic movement in 19th century France; artists and writers strove for detailed realistic and factual description
- n (philosophy) the philosophical doctrine that abstract concepts exist independent of their names
- Under the doctrinaire rules of Soviet social realism, a painter with a hankering for nudes had to hie himself to the nearest gym, coyly disguise his subject as a bather or a .
- STORYTELLER: A master of social realism, Mahfouz chronicled the lives of ordinary Egyptians Gamal Abdel Nasser and Anwar Sadat are the larger-than-life former Presidents who .
- Told with ruthless psychological realism, in fugal, overlapping plotlines and gorgeous, cinematic panels rich with repeating motifs, Watchmen is a heart-pounding, heartbreaking read .
News & Articles
- The arts at Ivywild will be ambitious, but the groundwork is already there
Fantastic realism by Edie Adelstein Creativity has always been in the Ivywild School's DNA. Even bathroom breaks were illuminated by colorful, educational murals — the line "I am not a dinosaur" included.… [ Read more ] [ Subscribe to the comments on this story ]
June 12, 2013 - Colorado Springs Independent
- Self-taught artist to exhibit at Elmhurst Art Museum
ELMHURST – A new solo exhibit is coming to the Elmhurst Art Museum. "Gifts of the Muse: Paintings by Peter M. Steeves" will showcase work that combines primitive symbolic, postmodern realism and bits of surrealism.
June 10, 2013 - Huntley Farmside
- Willi Sitte | East German artist, 92
Willi Sitte, 92, one of East Germany's most eminent artists and a key representative of Communism's preferred socialist realism painting style, has died in Berlin.
June 9, 2013 - Philly.com
- President Bush in CNN International
Speaking in Amman, Jordan, during a press conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, Bush said, "This business about graceful exit just simply has no realism to it at all."
- Bill Nelson in International Herald Tribune
Nelson said he viewed Assad's remarks as "a crack in the door for discussions to continue. I approach this with realism not optimism."