- n a heavy silvery toxic univalent and bivalent metallic element; the only metal that is liquid at ordinary temperatures
- s liable to sudden unpredictable change
a quicksilver character, cool and willful at one moment, utterly fragile the next
- A most sinister and most beneficent metal is quicksilver, whose properties mystified men for 4,000 years.
- Ahead of us, the quicksilver water burbles and shushes.
- After Lane's first tryst with her lover, the camera sits quietly on her, displaying her quicksilver emotions: a pang of guilt, a flicker of pleasure, finally tears and hysterical .