- n colorless glass made of almost pure silica
- n a hard glossy mineral consisting of silicon dioxide in crystal form; present in most rocks (especially sandstone and granite); yellow sand is quartz with iron oxide impurities
- In the Lynn works of the General Electric Company, has been produced a substance known as a clear fused quartz, which possesses an astonishing catalog of uses and properties:.
- Conversely, quartz crystals can translate electrical energy into mechanical movement.
- But that was before the onslaught of Japanese quartz watches dealt a near deathblow to the Swiss industry.
News & Articles
- Here's Why Investors Seem to Be Sprinting Away From Bonds
Reuters MORE FROM QUARTZ The End of the Gaming Console Lululemon Stock Does a Downward Dog The financial crisis upended a lot of things about the established order. Swaggering bankers were brought to their ...
June 11, 2013 - The Atlantic via Yahoo! Finance
- Data released early to speed traders: report
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Thomson Reuters reportedly is giving its consumer sentiment survey to select subscribers early. Quartz, citing a contract the firm has with the University of Michigan, says the firm gives the report to its "ultra-low latency distribution platform" two seconds early. Thomson Reuters had not responded to requests for comment by press time, the report says. The move ...
June 10, 2013 - Market Watch
- Boaventura Cardoso in Granma International
My country is very rich in natural resources,Cardoso noted. "Along with large oil reserves, we have minerals such as diamonds, gold, iron, phosphate, marble, granite and quartz. In addition, the vast territory that comprises our nation is...