- n a coat of arms that occupies one quarter of an escutcheon; combining four coats of arms on one shield usually represented intermarriages
- n living accommodations (especially those assigned to military personnel)
- n dividing into four equal parts
- v provide housing for (military personnel)
- v pull (a person) apart with four horses tied to his extremities, so as to execute him
- v divide into quarters
- v divide by four; divide into quarters
- In what conceivable way, asked he, did Connecticut's birth-control law violate the Third Amendment ban against quartering soldiers in private homes?.
- Seconds later, with the ship supposedly in open ocean and the waves quartering in on the windward rail, the crew started swaying fore and aft.
- The four Fromms all live at the Hamburg ranch, John, the lone bachelor, quartering himself in the warehouse.
News & Articles
- Third Amendment Violation, Home Invasion Alleged At Nevada Police Officers
A Third Amendment violation isn’t something the typical American expects to see when they read the news. The legislation is a dusty one that forbids forcefully quartering soldiers in people’s homes during times of peace without the consent of the owner. But according to a lawsuit filed in the US District Court for the District... Read more » Third Amendment Violation, Home Invasion Alleged At ...
July 7, 2013 - The Inquisitr
- Steve Flesch in Chicago Tribune
It was just hard to pull the right club because the wind just kept kind of switching around and quartering on you,said Steve Flesch, who had a 78. "It never was downwind, except on 17."
- Antony Gormley in Times Online
It's not exactly hanging, drawing and quartering,Gormley warned, "but it's got a bit of the stocks about it. There's a public square with a body that isn't allowed to leave. This is a serious commitment. Your life in this hour is being...