- n the number that is represented as a one followed by 24 zeros
in England they call a septillion a quadrillion
- n the number that is represented as a one followed by 15 zeros
- On May 26, at 3:30 in the morning, a $133 million supercomputer nicknamed Roadrunner broke the long-sought-after petaflop barrier: 1 quadrillion calculations per second.
- Right now it has 3 petabytes of information in its servers (that's 85 billion Web pages, or 10 quadrillion 10 to the power of 15 ones and zeros).
- New York real estate firm The Durst Organization, which owns and operates the clock, plans to install an updated model sometime next year that can display a quadrillion dollars.
News & Articles
- China supercomputer takes the global computing crown
BEIJING, June 17 (UPI) -- A Chinese supercomputer performing more than 33 quadrillion calculations per second has taken the computing crown on a list of the world's fastest computers.
June 17, 2013 - UPI
- Tianhe-2 supercomputer claims the lead in Top 500 list, thanks its 3.1 million processor cores
As predicted , Chinese supercomputer Tianhe-2 (also known as the Milky Way-2) has now been crowned the most powerful supercomputer in the world. Arriving years ahead of schedule, and packing 32,000 Xeon processors alongside 48,000 Xeon Phi accelerator processors, the supercomputer can manage a quadrillion mathematical calculations per second (33.85 petaflops), double that of last year's king ...
June 17, 2013 - Engadget
- Nearly half the world’s population will be on the Internet by 2017
Networking company Cisco estimates that Internet traffic will grow three-fold between 2012 and 2017 to reach an annual run rate of 1.4 zettabytes, more than a trillion gigabytes per year. The firm expects traffic to reach nearly 121 exabytes per month by 2017 — equal to 30 billion DVDs, 28 trillion MP3?s or 750 quadrillion text messages — and an increase from 44 exabytes per month in 2012 ...
June 14, 2013 - BGR News via Yahoo! News