- n a flattering commendation (especially when used for promotional purposes)
- This isn't exactly the stamp of approval most scientists look for, though, and in this case the puffery is especially unfortunate because the actual scientific finding, described .
- A good deal of this is, obviously, puffery designed to keep the diplomatic balloon aloft.
- As a sometime practitioner of puffery, I'd be sympathetic, except that: a) The people and companies and government agencies I write about don't pay me to write about themwhich is .
News & Articles
- S&P raises ‘puffery’ defense in federal investor-fraud case
Standard & Poor’s argues that reasonable investors wouldn’t have relied on its “puffery” about credit ratings. The federal government seeks as much as $5 billion in civil penalties in claims that the rating service defrauded investors.
July 9, 2013 - Seattle Times
- S&P Downgrades Italy From BBB+ From BBB; Full "Puffery" Statement
Just more meangingless drivel form a clueless, paid for rating agency (which recently disclosed it would plead "puffery" in its defense against the US lawsuit) now that the ECB is intent on actually lowering the EURUSD, because unlike last year, there is no (immediate) fear of redenomination risk as a result of a sliding EURUSD. Thank you Japanese carry trade. As a reminder , "S&P said in its ...
July 9, 2013 - Zero Hedge
- S&P to Argue Puffery Defense in First Courtroom Test
Standard & Poor’s, getting its first shot in open court at U.S. Justice Department claims it should pay as much as $5 billion in civil penalties, will defend itself by arguing reasonable investors wouldn’t have relied on its “puffery” about credit ratings.
July 8, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Andre Marin in 940 News
If organizations fall into the trap of believing their own hype, they can become complacent and lost the urge for self-improvement,wrote Marin. "Puffery can become a shield for inertia and apathy. If governments and their agencies believe...
- Ralph K Winter in San Francisco Chronicle
The securities fraud here was not puffery or cheerleading or even a misguided effort to protect the company, its employees, and its shareholders from the capital-impairing effects of what was believed to be a temporary downturn in business,...
- Tony Abbott in ABC Online
The Prime Minister effectively wants to suspend Question Time for nearly an hour today in order to engage in a piece of self-indulgent, self-congratulatory puffery,Mr Abbott said. "This is an abuse of Question Time but it does suggest the...