- a having power to atone for or offered by way of expiation or propitiation
expiatory (or propitiatory) sacrifice
- s intended to reconcile or appease
sent flowers as a propitiatory gesture
- Ancestors are invoked who around her as she starts the propitiatory dance.
- There was a brief Cabinet crisis, in which Premier Solh shuffled his ministers in a faintly propitiatory manner.
- His only propitiatory gesture to the gods of war and luck had been a judicious rubbing of his seven pocket piecesa collection of old coins which includes a cartwheel silver .