- a occurring or existing before birth
the prenatal period
- Earlier studies indicated that prenatal exposure to testosterone, which spikes between the 9th and 18th weeks of gestation, increases a person's sensitivity to the effects of the .
- Unlike the prenatal changes, this neural waxing and waning alters not the number of nerve cells but the number of connections, or synapses, between them.
- In the first study of its kind, researchers have linked mothers' prenatal exposure to environmental pollution to lower IQ in their children by age 5.
News & Articles
- Prenatal nutrition program offered
Richland County Extension and the Richland County Health Department are pleased to offer a free, three-week prenatal nutrition program.
June 12, 2013 - Sidney Herald
- Discovery of gene responsible for multiple intestinal atresia in newborns
Physicians have conducted a study that has led to the discovery of a gene that causes multiple intestinal atresia, a rare and life-threatening hereditary disorder that affects newborns. In addition to exploring novel therapeutic treatments for children with the disease, the discovery of the gene TTC7A will make it possible to develop a prenatal diagnostic test and a screening test for parents ...
June 11, 2013 - Science Daily
- Harmony(TM) Prenatal Test Demonstrates Clinical Utility in a General Screening Population
The Harris Birthright Centre for Fetal Medicine today released results from a clinical implementation study on the use of Ariosa Diagnostics' Harmony™ Prenatal Test in a general screening population. The ...
June 10, 2013 - Marketwired via Yahoo! Finance
- Richard J Codey in The Star-Ledger - NJ.com
I applaud the Assembly for voting for this potentially life-sav ing measure,said Senate President Richard Codey (D-Essex), a sponsor. "By making HIV testing a routine part of prenatal care, we can significantly reduce the number of...
- Ban Ki-moon in Xinhua
Through the practice of prenatal sex selection, countless others are denied the right even to exist,Ban said. "No country, no culture, no woman young or old is immune to this scourge. Far too often, the crimes go unpunished, the...
- Melinda Gates in Inquirer.net
Most maternal and newborn deaths can be prevented with existing, low-cost solutions, such as basic prenatal care or educating mothers about things like the importance of keeping babies warm,said Gates. "Countries that have made women's and...