- n a multivalent nonmetallic element of the nitrogen family that occurs commonly in inorganic phosphate rocks and as organic phosphates in all living cells; is highly reactive and occurs in several allotropic forms
- n a planet (usually Venus) seen just before sunrise in the eastern sky
- Theres something about phosphorus, the way it smoulders and burns for days, that makes it looks as though the Devil had walked by, leaving fiery footprints in the earth.
- Originally used to cloak troops or positions with harmless white clouds, WP (white phosphorus) has become one of the great anti-personnel weapons of the war.
- We would then rub around the edge of the hole a mixture of phosphorus and cheese (any sharp cheese would suffice).