- n teaching reading by training beginners to associate letters with their sound values
- That eventually ushered in the current joyless back-to-phonics movement, with its endless hours of reading-skill drills.
- An overemphasis on phonics instruction, though, can make some children miss the meaning of the words they sound out.
- The system stresses "functional grammar" with some phonics.
- Vivian Paley in MSNBC (press release)
The theater of the young receives the least attention from those planning the curriculum of our nation's schools,Paley said. "This very activity is being dismantled in our schools to make room for early phonics. ...... Preschoolers are...
- Nick Gibb in Guardian Unlimited
Shadow schools minister Nick Gibb said: "West Dunbartonshire's success in virtually eliminating illiteracy in primary schools proves beyond doubt that synthetic phonics is the most effective method of teaching children to read."
- Michael Howard in guardian.co.uk
Mr Howard said: "There is overwhelming evidence to demonstrate that traditional teaching methods - phonics, arithmetic, times tables - are the most effective means of teaching children to read, write and add up."