- n an explosive device used to break down a gate or wall
- Stambuliskihoisting communism by its own petard.
- Paradoxically the Royal Family were themselves gently hoist by this petard last week.
- He often hoists the man with the petard of his own argument.
News & Articles
- Letter: Our president knows nothing
So, the president has finally been hoisted on his own petard. The “smartest” man to ever be president has been skewered by his own narcissistic tendencies to believe his own “soaring rhetoric.”
Oct. 30, 2013 - The Staunton News Leader
- Andrew Sullivan in AOL News
And so one of the principles held most dearly by some of the tea-partiers must logically hold DOMA unconstitutional,he writes on his blog. "The right is hoist on their own federalist petard and will now have to choose whether states'...
- Kim Beazley in The Age
I actually think it's tragic that things have come to this pass,Mr Beazley told reporters. "One of the problems for the prime minister is that he's been hoist on his own petard. The prime minister convinced the Indonesians he was serious...
- John Bogle in Philadelphia Inquirer
The handwriting was on the wall for all this to happen a long time ago,Bogle told them. "The financial sector, with all its sins, would in times less generous be hoist by its own petard - to wit, blown up by its own dynamite. And, of...