- n a state of extreme poverty or destitution
- The economic sanctions have driven many to unemployment and penury.
- "If this is penury then I am envious of such penury," said a third world delegate sarcastically.
- He suffered penury during 20 years as a missionary in the Caribbean, became a trusted writer of official publications, and joined the 17-member Governing Body in 1971.
- Shashi Tharoor in Times of India
Shashi Tharoor, the former UN Under-Secretary General, said: "After years of penury, where what passed for mangoes in American supermarkets was a travesty of the term, we at last have the real thing! I used to believe that true mango lovers could...
- MS Swaminathan in Reuters India
Such figures alone are not going to prevent farmers affected by economic penury from committing suicide,said MS Swaminathan, architect of India's green revolution of the 1960s when India embraced the use of high-yielding seeds and pesticides...
- Nelson Chamisa in ZimDaily
The rolling juggernaut for change remains firmly on course,said Chamisa, adding: "We are mobilizing people to express their discontent with the current state of misery and penury that has gripped the people this nation. The hour of change...