particularism : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a focus on something particular
- But Wasps always viewed particularism with a certain distaste.
- They call for a restoration of abandoned scholarly discipline, and "particularism"commitment to perpetuation of specific traditions.
- The particularism that once typified American church life has given way to what he calls "religion-in-general.
- Pope Benedict XVI in AsiaNews.it
For instance, the Pope noted that "Cicero despised their religion and even the city of Jerusalem," whereas Nero's wife Poppaea was considered as a "sympathiser. Even Julius Caesar had recognised their particularism."
- Claire Danes in Boston Globe
And when Danes said that he had "sort of created a form of philosophy called 'particularism' - and that's all I know," Ferguson exclaimed: "That's not very particular. That's too vague!"