- n domesticated bovine animals as a group regardless of sex or age
a team of oxen
- n an adult castrated bull of the genus Bos; especially Bos taurus
- n any of various wild bovines especially of the genera Bos or closely related Bibos
- Silent Spring, serialized in the New Yorker in June 1962, gored corporate oxen all over the country.
- Once a Mormon temple is consecrated, no outsider may enter to see the secret rites or oxen-borne baptistries.
- This year, the oxen sniffed contemplatively at several of the trays.
- JosÃ© Saramago in New York Times
There is no more satisfying smell than that of turned hay,Mr. Saramago writes, "of bodies under a blanket, of oxen feeding at the trough, the scent of cold air filtering through the chinks in the hayloft, and perhaps the scent of the moon,...
- Inigo Jones in Deccan Herald
Inigo Jones said, in 1622, that there were sacrifices of "Buls:and oxen:" in ancient times.
- Newt Gingrich in Times Online
If a lack of petrol for their cars forced Iranians to "go back to walking and using oxen to pull carts", the people might rise against the ayatollahs, Gingrich said.