- n the belief that the United States Constitution should be interpreted in the way the authors originally intended it
- His argument, says Northwestern Law School professor John McGinnis, is rooted in the judicial philosophy of originalism: "When there really isn't clear precedent, you look at what .
- Scalia's judicial philosophy of textual originalism precludes him from ever allowing emotions, societal factors or conscience from informing his decisions.
- Seems to me that there are other important questions like the nominee's stance on Scalia's intellectually absurd notion of originalism, and whether or not Obama can place enough .
News & Articles
- Retired Justice Stevens Takes on History, Originalism
At a law review symposium at the University of Georgia on Wednesday, retired U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens critiqued some of his more conservative former colleagues' use of originalism.
Nov. 7, 2013 - Law.com
- Rudy Giuliani in Los Angeles Times
Giuliani said, "We need judges who embrace originalism," the view that the Constitution should be read in line with what it meant when it was adopted.
- Antonin Scalia in New York Times
Don't make up your mind on this significant question between originalism and playing it by ear on the basis of whether, now and then, the latter approach might give you a result you like,Justice Scalia said. "What does that prove? I'll...
- Dahlia Lithwick in 89.3 KPCC
The left was in this funny defensive crouch,says Lithwick. "It was saying, 'Whatever we're for, we know we're not for [Supreme Court Justice Antonin] Scalia and originalism.' "