- n a living thing that has (or can develop) the ability to act or function independently
- n a system considered analogous in structure or function to a living body
the social organism
- Within the frame of those interactions, the conversation among the maps spontaneously and continuously tells the "story" of our organism responding to and being modified by the .
- There's no road map for how an organism that's not a bacterium lives and works together on this planet in numbers in excess of 6 billion.
- By reorganizing the biological literature around function not organism to reveal which organism knows how to solve your design problem Benyus and her colleagues at the .
News & Articles
- Electrofuels: Charged Microbes May "Poop Out" a Gasoline Alternative
Run current through genetically engineered microorganisms, and they produce gasoline substitute. Can U.S.-funded electrofuels research finish the drive from lab to market?
June 17, 2013 - National Geographic
- ‘World War Z’ Features Brad Pitt and Undead Hordes
For “World War Z,” his zombie spectacular, the director Marc Forster sought to create legions of the undead that move together like a collective organism.
June 14, 2013 - New York Times
- Scientists identify neurons that control feeding behavior in Drosophila
Scientists have developed a novel transgenic system which allows them to remotely activate individual brain cells in the model organism Drosophila using ambient temperature. This powerful new tool for identifying and characterizing neural circuitry has lead to the identification of a pair of neurons-– now called Fdg neurons-- in the fruit fly that decide when to eat and initiate the subsequent ...
June 14, 2013 - Science Daily
- Julie Gerberding in KVOA.com
CDC Director Dr. Julie Gerberding says "We are considering his ability to transmit, but also the seriousness of this organism and the chance that some passenger on this plane could be one that was at a special risk for serious TB."
- Craig Venter in Ninemsn
What we are reporting in this Science paper is not anything about a synthetic organism,Venter said.