olivine : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a mineral consisting of magnesium iron silicate; a source of magnesium
- Around the core is a 60-mile-thick transition zone, or lower mantle, composed of a mixture of olivine and basalt-like rock that was apparently formed out of molten material.
- Grey-haired Facultyman Fritz Hansgirg has applied for a patent for his new method of getting magnesium out of North Carolina's olivine-rich mountains.
- The meteorite was classified as a pallasitea mixture of olivine (green magnesium iron silicate) and metallic iron.
News & Articles
- Olivine-dominated Asteroids: Mineralogy and Origin
Olivine-dominated asteroids are a rare type of objects formed either in nebular processes or through magmatic differentiation. The analysis of meteorite samples suggest that at least 100 parent bodies in the main belt experienced partial or complete melting and differentiation before being disrupted.
Oct. 7, 2013 - SpaceRef
- Steve Squyres in BBC News
There are a couple of surprises that came up when we looked at this data,said Professor Steve Squyres, principal investigator for the science payload. "Olivine in the Martian soil. What is olivine? It's a mineral, it has silicon, oxygen...