- s consisting of or made of wood of the oak tree
the old oaken bucket
- A few hours before dawn, a bleary-eyed night porter at The Hague's stuffy Hotel des Indes (named for The Netherlands' once vast and profitable colonies) opened the heavy oaken door.
- Germany's oaken Chancellor Konrad Adenauer had come "to accompany my old friend on his final journey.
- If the oaken seat adhered to the leathern seat of his breeches the ale was condemned as unfit for consumptionthere was too much sugar in it.
News & Articles
- Editorial: Even faster computers at Purdue
Someone help us out here. There has to be an equivalent traveling trophy, akin to the Old Oaken Bucket, for the supercomputing arms race between Purdue and Indiana universities.
June 19, 2013 - Journal & Courier
- John Facenda in CBS News
He had this great oaken voice. He was the Walter Cronkite of Philadelphia. And I remember the first script I ever wrote for him. It began, 'It starts with a whistle.'And it ended with Facenda saying, "and ends with a gun. 60 minutes of...