- n a trap for birds or small mammals; often has a slip noose
- n a loop formed in a cord or rope by means of a slipknot; it binds tighter as the cord or rope is pulled
- v make a noose in or of
- v secure with a noose
- They stopped, afraid that the noose might have caught around her neck.
- Comic riffs alternate with seemingly naive questions--Letterman crossed with NPR'S Ira Glass--until Bell tightens the rhetorical noose and produces tears or thoughtful silence.
- noose around the dictator's neck was one of the most striking images ever viewed across the Arab world an Arab president being held to account.
News & Articles
- The Stroller: 'All for it'
Sally Cannon of Spartanburg mentions every deterrent from firing squad to a noose and the chain gang for criminals bent on killing or harming law-abiding folks. "Bring back the chain gang. I'm all for it," she says. "I think the nonviolent criminals should be put on the chain gang instead of sitting in a cell with a cot and three square meals a day and twiddling their thumbs while the taxpayers ...
June 10, 2013 - Spartanburg Herald-Journal
- Memphis animal control officer says choking dogs not permitted
An animal control officer testified Wednesday that aggressive dogs often do “an alligator roll” when the noose of a control pole is put around their necks, but that at such times he would loosen rather than tighten the noose.
June 5, 2013 - Memphis Commercial Appeal
- Tim Finchem in 940 News
Clearly, what Kelly said was inappropriate and unfortunate, and she obviously regrets her choice of words,Finchem said in a statement. "But we consider Golfweek's imagery of a swinging noose on its cover to be outrageous and irresponsible....
- Martin Luther King in Prince George Citizen
There are so many nooses being hung around America,said Martin Luther King III, son of the famous civil rights leader. "Anytime there's a hate crime the Justice Department should prosecute, and a noose is certainly a hate crime."
- President Bush in CNN Political Ticker
At Tuesday's event, Bush said that "lynching is not a word to be mentioned in jest. As a civil society, we should understand that noose displays and lynching jokes are deeply offensive. They are wrong. And they have no place in America today."