- n United States sculptor (1904-1988)
- n United States bacteriologist (born in Japan) who discovered the cause of yellow fever and syphilis (1876-1928)
News & Articles
- California budget overhauls school funding
By Sharon Noguchi and Mike Rosenberg, San Jose Mercury News Seven months after his tax initiative refueled funding for California’s beleaguered public schools, Gov. Jerry Brown has orchestrated what’s being billed as a major overhaul of how the state funds K-12 education. The deal, scheduled [...]
June 13, 2013 - Lake Tahoe News
- Modern home classics: Noguchi's light sculptures
The Noguchi lamps - called akari, the Japanese word for light - were inspired by traditional Japanese lanterns used in ancestor worship. Over the decades, the akari became classics of mid-20th-Century modern home decor.
June 11, 2013 - Detroit Free Press
- Modern decor inspired by Noguchi
The round, white, paper light shades sold at Ikea for $5 are a familiar item in contemporary interior design. But these inexpensive lanterns are knockoffs of light sculptures created by the renowned artist Isamu Noguchi in the early 1950s.
June 9, 2013 - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette