- n a religion based on mystical communion with an ultimate reality
- n obscure or irrational thought
- Such mysticism was forged in the trenches of the Iran-Iraq War, a war that was fought on the Iranian side by poor young men indoctrinated to believe they were fighting for Islam .
- Adds mysticism expert Ipsita Roy Chakaraverti: "It's got nothing to do with real mysticism or with spiritualism.
- Western medicine has spent the past 100 years trying to rid itself of remnants of mysticism.
- Kevin Rudd in The Australian
Special purpose payments (SPP) are part of the deep structure, folklore and mysticism of Commonwealth-State relations,Mr Rudd said. "If you have worked in these areas before, as I have, they are a source of frustration at multiple levels...
- Stephen Jay Gould in New York Times
In The New York Review of Books in 1982, Stephen Jay Gould, the evolutionary biologist, called Mr. Gardner "the single brightest beacon defending rationality and good science against the mysticism and anti-intellectualism that surround us."
- Timothy Garton Ash in The Guardian
Timothy Garton Ash, a friend and confidant for 30 years, says "the idea put about of the young Ian being open to mysticism and the like, as opposed to the hard-edged scientific rationalist of today, is just nonsense. He's always been supremely...