murmuring : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a low continuous indistinct sound; often accompanied by movement of the lips without the production of articulate speech
- n a complaint uttered in a low and indistinct tone
- v speak softly or indistinctly
- v make complaining remarks or noises under one's breath
- s making a low continuous indistinct sound
like murmuring waves
- Actually, it's beyond the murmuring stage.
- On the verge of verbally chastising a murmuring sector of the audience, words failed him, but the murmuring stopped.
- Technically, they've been welcomed, but Muna overhears Nabeel and Raghda murmuring about money woes and extra mouths to feed; he's been losing patients because he's an Arab .
News & Articles
- Wildcats' baseball capping big year for K-State
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — It was about nine games into the Big 12 season when Kansas State baseball coach Brad Hill started to hear murmuring in the clubhouse. The football team had won a conference championship. So had the men's basketball team. "So they started to ask, 'Why can't we?'" Hill recalled in a phone interview with The Associated Press. "All of a sudden, they started to think about the idea ...
June 6, 2013 - Boston Herald
- K-State hopes it doesn’t wake from dream year
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — It was about nine games into the Big 12 season when Kansas State baseball coach Brad Hill started to hear murmuring in the clubhouse. The football team had won a conference championship. So had the men’s basketball team. “So they started to ask, ‘Why can’t we?’” …
June 6, 2013 - The Register-Guard
- Kansas State has had quite the season on the field
It was about nine games into the Big 12 season when Kansas State baseball coach Brad Hill started to hear murmuring in the clubhouse.
June 6, 2013 - Jefferson City News Tribune
- Carol Shea-Porter in Washington Post
Asked if she heard "murmuring" back home from war opponents in her district, Shea-Porter responded, "No murmuring, just screaming," from constituents who she said were shocked she would vote for any measure that continues to fund the war.
- Jeremy Hotz in Calgary Herald
It's almost like you're not even sure if he's saying it, like it's a guy murmuring it in school and the teachers says, 'Who said that?' But he's got his hand in front of his face so she can't nail it,Hotz said. "Hey, at least they go,...
- Sam Querrey in The Associated Press
There was never a pretence about it. He enjoyed every human contact, whether it was a hand fleetingly grasped on a canvass, an assistant murmuring something before a meeting or an elderly constituent confiding a problem. To each he gave his... Enda Kenny http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enda_Kenny&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEK2gYh5FcNmbdvLtFJKCqQT16l_Q Irish Independent http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.independent.ie/national-news/the-ahern-years/politics-put-to-one-side-as-sociable-loner-bows-out-1356876.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGWeXt5T5H_-hsSh483yPle12zNqQ Apr 25, 2008
66026 87632 murray I think it'll be 99 percent for Murray," he said, "and like my mom and dad and sister cheering for me."