modiste : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n someone who makes and sells hats
- n someone who makes or mends dresses
- The foremost British man-modiste, Captain Edward Henry Molyneux was commissioned to create Princess Marina's wedding dress, but she had fun in Paris buying much of her .
- In 1923, he married Miss Frances Beiger, modiste, who divorced .
- The Parisian-born son of a modiste, Bohan broke into haute couture in 1945 as an assistant designer at Patou, left Patou in 1958 to work under Dior's Boy Wonder Chief Designer .
News & Articles
- Eighth-grader aces ‘modiste’ to win News Spelling Bee
In Andrew Erdman’s family of good spellers, he now holds bragging rights. With a correct spelling of “modiste,” the SS. Peter and Paul, Williamsville, eighth-grader on Sunday outlasted 21 others to win his first appearance in The Buffalo News Spelling Bee.
March 10, 2014 - The Buffalo News
- AndrÃ© Salmon in Boston Globe
In 1912, AndrÃ© Salmon, a friend of Picasso, accused Matisse of having "the taste of a modiste," comparing his love of color to "a love of chiffon."