- n genre of art and literature that makes a self-conscious break with previous genres
- n the quality of being current or of the present
- n practices typical of contemporary life or thought
- And what does that have to do with the eponymous Francisco de Goya (Stellan Skarsgard), that greatest of Spanish painters and precursor of modernism?.
- This fusion of nostalgic design and up-to-the-minute functionalityoften dubbed retro modernismis "the strongest trend in all of the creative industries at the moment .
- Many a tradition-minded Athenian, knowing Gropius only as the high priest of modernism, with its flat roofs, ribbon windows, concrete, steel and glass functionalism, promptly got .
News & Articles
- Review: Cognitive overload with Mary Reid Kelley and Patrick Kelley
Made up to look like black and white drawings, the protagonists in Mary Reid Kelley’s videos speak in a constant, densely allusive patter. This approach worked swimmingly in her 2010 show at Susanne Vielmetter, which featured two videos that looked at the darker side of early modernism. The stark, stylized appearance of those works perfectly evoked stripped-down modern aesthetics.
June 14, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Cranbrook exhibit gives Michigan its due in modern design
Modernism sprang simultaneously from two centers of design ferment, Los Angeles and Detroit, but Michigan's contribution has gotten short shrift in recent decades.
June 13, 2013 - Detroit News
- These Six Adorable Animations Are Like Cheat Sheets For Design History
Ever wish you had a set of CliffsNotes for design? Now, thanks to online education company Open Culture , you do. This series of short videos covers the basics of six different major schools of design. They're a fun, animated way to learn a little bit about the movements that took us from late 19th century's Gothic revival to 1980s Postmodernism, and everything in between. Check them out below ...
June 12, 2013 - Gizmodo
- Christopher Nolan in Reuters Canada
When people choose to stylize a city, they draw from one particular age of architecture, which for us didn't make sense. Real cities have a tremendous mix of architecture; they combine all eras,Nolan says. "In this film, we favor modernism...
- Dana Gioia in New York Times
What distinguishes his work from the other poets of his generation who were forging a new style in the wake of modernism, Mr. Gioia said, is how he "combined the intensity of English-language modernism with the expansive lyricism of Spanish-language...
- Graham Coxon in Independent
This is a pathetic attemptat modernism,says Coxon. "What's going to be in it? More Starbucks coffee houses and Carphone Warehouses? It should be full of tailors, shoemakers, guitar makers, cheesemakers and independent shops, but of course,...