misplay : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (baseball) a failure of a defensive player to make an out when normal play would have sufficed
- v play incorrectly, e.g., play a wrong note
- v play wrong or in an unskillful manner
- He could still foul up the debates or make a monumental gaffe or otherwise misplay his strong hand.
- A crackerjack player, good-humored Fred Vinson has never been known to get openly riled at a partner's misplay.
- Last year actor Charlie Sheen paid $93,500 for the ball that dribbled through the legs of Red Sox first baseman Bill Buckner in a misplay that ultimately cost Boston the 1986 World .
News & Articles
- Shane Victorino hitless but still delivers walkoff win
Shane Victorino was officially hitless in five at-bats yesterday. Judging by the crowd of exuberant teammates surrounding him in the ninth inning after his grounder went under the glove of Toronto Blue Jays first baseman Josh Thole, Victorino just might be alright with that 0-for. Thole’s misplay allowed the Red Sox to take the series with a 5-4 walkoff win at Fenway Park and push the Blue Jays ...
July 1, 2013 - Boston Herald
- John Smoltz in Forbes
It was vintage Glavine,said Smoltz. "We got a couple of bloop hits and there was a misplay in the outfield. If it weren't for that, we might still be playing."
- Dominic Kinnear in The Canadian Press
That misplay before halftime, we were well in control of the game and not giving up chances and keeping possession of the ball really turned the game around and it took us a while to recover,Houston coach Dominic Kinnear said. "Obviously,...
- Ales Kotalik in Sports Network
I had a feeling that I could put away this game for us,Kotalik said. "Unfortunately it went the other way, one misplay on my part and it costs us the game in the last five minutes and that really hurt."