misnomer : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an incorrect or unsuitable name
- It is said that the term “embryonic stem cells” is a misnomer because the cells in question are not from embryos but rather from blastocysts, or undifferentiated, pre-embryonic masses of cells formed in the first stage after fertilization.
- 'Protection money' is a misnomer in the extortion business.
- Chickenpox has nothing to do with the barnyard fowl; this malady is a misnomer.
- Soha Ali Khan in Sify
I think the female actors are far more intelligent than the male actors. I think it's a misnomer to say that actresses are not smart and I think they are deeply in touch with emotions,Soha said.
- Mike Montgomery in Washington Post
I think that's a little bit of a misnomer, in terms of being the top three-point shooting team in the country,Montgomery said. "I think that's statistics. We really got off to a fast start and our percentage was way up, almost uncanny, and...
- Robert Wilder in Red Herring
I would not use the word 'clean' anywhere near the word 'coal,'says Robert Wilder, CEO of WilderShares, which manages three energy indices. "It'sa misnomer; coal is inherently dirty."