mihrab : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (Islam) a design in the shape of niche in a Muslim prayer rug; during worship the niche must be pointed toward Mecca
- n (Islam) a niche in the wall of a mosque that indicates the direction of Mecca
- The Met's collection of Islamic art lines a corridor that logically leads to a 14th century tiled mihrab (prayer niche), as magically multicolored as a Persian carpet.
- The altar, called a mihrab, points off center to face Mecca.
- The mihrab, which indicates the direction of prayer, is tulip-shaped and turquoise "an opening to God," says Fadillioglu.