meltdown : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n severe overheating of the core of a nuclear reactor resulting in the core melting and radiation escaping
- n a disaster comparable to a nuclear meltdown
there is little likelihood of a meltdown comparable to the American banking collapse in March 1933
- As banks across the world teeter amid the market meltdown, Americans and Europeans watch their governments intervene to stave off catastrophe.
- How the meltdown is an opportunity to get ourselves back on track.
- The economy is in meltdown, consumer spending is dwindling and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke is seriously considering priming the monetary system with change he found .
News & Articles
- ATF nominee runs into GOP opposition in Senate confirmation hearing
WASHINGTON – B. Todd Jones, the acting director of the ATF who took over the agency in its meltdown with the Fast and Furious scandal, ran into immediate opposition Tuesday as he appeared before the Senate Judiciary Committee for consideration as permanent director.
June 11, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Artist uses toilet humor to protest Cyprus bailout
NICOSIA (Reuters) - A Cypriot artist found a novel way to protest over Cyprus's financial meltdown on Monday, lining up 20 sculptures resembling a cross between toilets and tombstones outside the island's Central Bank. Arranged in two rows on a pavement outside the building, the white "toilets" made of concrete and plaster caused traffic to slow down along a busy Nicosia avenue, with many ...
June 10, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Defensive meltdown dooms Colonels
A defensive meltdown sent Henderson County’s season to a crashing halt in the state semifinals.
June 8, 2013 - The Gleaner
- Lindsey Graham in Nick.com
Unless you have a complete meltdown, you're going to get confirmed,said Senator Lindsey Graham, a Republican from South Carolina. "And I don't think you will (melt down)."
- Chris Dodd in AFP
Senate Banking committee chairman Chris Dodd said: "I've been here 28 years. To listen to the language of last evening, we maybe were days away from a complete meltdown of our financial system."
- Andrew Cuomo in Globe and Mail
We owe it to taxpayers to take every possible action to stop unwarranted bonus payments to those who caused the AIG meltdown in the first place,Mr. Cuomo said, accusing the company of breeching an agreement with the state to suspend bonus...