mecca : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n joint capital (with Riyadh) of Saudi Arabia; located in western Saudi Arabia; as the birthplace of Muhammad it is the holiest city of Islam
- n a place that attracts many visitors
New York is a mecca for young artists
- No other city in Asia may have been deflated more quickly by the global recession than the Chinese gambling mecca of Macau.
News & Articles
- Too many strip malls in Tri-Cities?
The Tri-Cities has been a bit of a mecca for strip malls. More are being built while others have been empty for years.
June 18, 2013 - KEPR Pasco
- 1 Dead Following Vehicle Accident in Monongalia County
One person is dead Monday after a vehicle accident on Interstate 79 in Monongalia County, according to MECCA 911.
June 17, 2013 - WBOY Clarksburg
- In Mecca, Saudi cleric urges followers to back Syria rebels
By Sami Aboudi DUBAI (Reuters) - A senior cleric in Islam's holy city Mecca exhorted followers on Friday to support Syrian rebels by "all means", the latest in a series of rhetorical attacks on President Bashar al-Assad reflecting rising sectarian tension across the Middle East. His appeal came at a time when momentum on the battlefield has been shifting in Assad's favor, just a few months after ...
June 14, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Tom Tancredo in International Herald Tribune
If it is up to me, we are going to explain that an attack on this homeland of that nature would be followed by an attack on the holy sites in Mecca and Medina,Tancredo said at the Family Table restaurant. "Because that's the only thing I...
- Guus Hiddink in New York Times
It was one of the biggest, a big achievement: winning in the Mecca of world football,Hiddink said. "The FA Cup is something you cannot believe."
- Mike Scioscia in USA Today
This would be the baseball Mecca for a couple of weeks out here in Southern California, and that would be something special,said Scioscia, who played for Lasorda's title teams in 1981 and '88 and managed the Angels to their only World Series...