mater : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an informal use of the Latin word for mother; sometimes used by British schoolboys or used facetiously
- s not reflecting light; not glossy
- He became active in AIDS research at Harvard and at his alma mater, the University of California, Los Angeles.
- My alma mater did give me the job, and I stayed for three years.
- Here, a freshman at Drexel University shows off a gift from her alma mater; in 1985, the school issued each incoming student a new Microsoft computer.
News & Articles
- Baseball: Mater Dei's Charlie Vorsheck commits to Notre Dame
Charlie Vorsheck, who was part of the outstanding pitching group for Santa Ana Mater Dei last season as a junior, has committed to Notre Dame. He's expected to be the Monarchs' ace in 2014. -- Eric Sondheimer
June 13, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Prep baseball: Shelton savors chance to coach at alma mater
Prep baseball: Shelton savors chance to coach at alma mater by Anthony Cusumano Special To The Tribune Published Jun 12, 2013 03:35PM MDT Chris Shelton recalls his first opening day in the Major Leagues. It was in Toronto in 2004, and the wide-eyed Cottonwood graduate was awestruck. From his perspective, he had arrived. “I had my first at-bat against Roy Halladay, and it was kind of overwhelming ...
June 12, 2013 - The Salt Lake Tribune
- Football: Mater Dei's Lockett, Santa Marg.'s Sweet headed to Pac-12 camps
Mater Dei senior-to-be cornerback Jonathan Lockett and Santa Margarita junior-to-be wide receiver...
June 9, 2013 - Orange County Register
- Karl Dorrell in International Herald Tribune
I want to thank Dan Guerrero for the opportunity to coach at my alma mater,Dorrell said in a statement. "I know that the program is in much better shape than when I inherited it and I believe that it is ready to flourish. I am proud of...
- Jon Wefald in USA Today
If Bob had indicated to us about a year ago this time that he needed something in his contract about his alma mater, then we would have gone on,Wefald said. "We would have looked at somebody else."
- T Boone Pickens in Washington Post
I am privileged to give even more to my alma mater,Pickens said in a statement. "It gives me great pleasure to make a gift, that when matched by the state, will transform academics at OSU. My goal has always been to make OSU more...