- n one who suffers for the sake of principle
- n one who voluntarily suffers death as the penalty for refusing to renounce their religion
- v kill as a martyr
Saint Sebastian was martyred
- v torture and torment like a martyr
- Some in the press have to answer whether investigative journalism has anything to do with ferreting out a potential martyrs?
- Reactions to his death were mixed, some called him a martyr others a monster.
- Whether one is a martyr or a traitor depends on which side of battle one is.
News & Articles
- CLEVELAND EVANS: The origins of Vincent
The name Vincent derives from Latin “vincens,” which means “conquering.” It spread from the fame of St. Vincent of Saragossa. The first Christian martyr in Spain, Vincent died in 304 after being roasted on...
June 13, 2013 - Omaha World-Herald
- The Times' journey through Year 175 - June 9
Zoot-suited hoodlums and servicemen battling still commanded headlines in 1943 while a bemedalled and youthful Queen Elizabeth II and Alabama Gov. George Wallace uneasily shared headlines this day in 1963. In 1913, a suffragette died in England, declared the first martyr in the cause to get women the vote.
June 9, 2013 - The Shreveport Times
- Adil Abdul-Mahdi in FOXNews
The more they (terrorists) act, the more solid we become. When they take from us one martyr, we will offer more martyrs,Vice President Adil Abdul-Mahdi said. "The more they target our unity, the stronger our unity becomes."
- Raghad Saddam Hussein in Forbes
God bless you, and I thank you for honoring Saddam, the martyr,said Raghad Saddam Hussein, according to two witnesses.
- Asif Ali Zardari in USA Today
We will take Pakistan forward following the path of our martyr Benazir Bhutto,Zardari told a gathering of party activists and her family close to the mausoleum.