markup : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the amount added to the cost to determine the asking price
- n detailed stylistic instructions for typesetting something that is to be printed; manual markup is usually written on the copy (e.g. underlining words that are to be set in italics)
- By Thursday Japanese import units had already made their way halfway around the world to New York City's Chinatown, where they were available for a 100% markup and they were .
- By slashing markup to the bone, clothing is sold the way supermarkets sell groceries.
- Committee chair members on Capitol Hill generally prefer to go into markup with a version of a bill that is as close as possible to what they expect to see in the finished product.
News & Articles
- Consumers Complain About 500-Percent Frozen Yogurt Cost Markup
The profit margins seem staggering -- yogurt selling for 59 cents an ounce, yet costs less than a dime to produce. Even when you subtract the expense of cups and spoons, studies show a 500-percent markup on a typical 10-ounce serving.
June 12, 2013 - CBS New York
- Rep. Franks Clarifies Rape Comment, Blames Dems for Distortion
Rep. Trent Franks, who has come under fire today for comments he made during a committee markup on his bill to ban all abortions after 20 weeks without exception, worked to clarify that his point, however jumbled, was that “pregnancies from rape that result in...
June 12, 2013 - ABC News
- Sealaska Land Bill Scheduled For Congressional Markup
The Sealaska land bill is scheduled for markup during a congressional hearing this week. Representative Don Young’s main legislation would convey about 70,000 acres of Tongass National Forest timberlands to Sealaska. Download Audio
June 11, 2013 - Alaska Public Radio Network
- Chris Dodd in BusinessWeek
We're talking, and obviously my hope is that in the next few weeks we'll have a markup and move forward,Dodd added, referring to official committee action on the bill.
- Kenneth Arrow in Washington Post
With the likely markup, they are well above the purchasing power of the average African,Arrow said.
- Max Baucus in Bloomberg
It's clear there won't be a markup next week,Baucus, a Democrat like Obama, told reporters after meeting with a group of lawmakers at the Capitol. "We are committed to finding a bipartisan solution."