- n the deliberate act of deviating from the truth
- v be located or situated somewhere; occupy a certain position
- v be lying, be prostrate; be in a horizontal position
the books are lying on the shelf
- v originate (in)
- v be and remain in a particular state or condition
- v tell an untruth; pretend with intent to deceive
- v have a place in relation to something else
- v assume a reclining position
- Lying is not seen as being morally reprehensible in any strong way.
- The fine art of political prevarication is nothing less than ordinary, everyday lying writ large.
- In moderation, lying is a normal--even necessary--part of life.
News & Articles
- Marion frustrated by spike in drug abuse
MARION, Ohio — The used syringe was lying near the sidewalk, about a block from where Paul Young lives with his family, including his 21/2-year-old daughter. Young stopped to pick it up, protecting his hand with a napkin, and noticed a young boy riding a bicycle about 20 feet away.
June 16, 2013 - The Columbus Dispatch
- Syria says United States lying on chemical weapons use
BEIRUT (Reuters) - Syria's foreign ministry said the United States was lying about chemical weapons use to give it an excuse to intervene in the country's two-year-old civil war. "The White House...relied on fabricated information in order to hold the Syrian government responsible for using these weapons, despite a series of statements that confirmed that terrorist groups in Syria have chemical ...
June 14, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- 'Shameful': Syria accuses US of lying over chemical weapons to justify joining war
LONDON -- Syria said Friday that the United States was lying about the regime's use of chemical weapons, while Russia called the claims unconvincing as the two-year-old conflict took a dramatic new turn."The United States, in resorting to a shameful use of pretexts in order to allow President Obama's decision to arm the Syrian opposition, shows that it has flagrant double standards in the way it ...
June 14, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Graeme McDowell in New York Times
I'd be lying if I hadn't thought about picking up the trophy on Sunday afternoon,he said. "I think that's only natural."
- Roger Clemens in Bloomberg
I know that some people will still think I am lying, no matter what I say or do,Clemens said. "And I know that because I didn't take steroids, it will look like an attack on Senator Mitchell's report. I am not saying Senator Mitchell's...
- Barack Obama in CTV.ca
And so I would be lying to you if I did not say that right now a part of me is with him,said Obama of Kennedy. "And I think that's true for all of us. This is a joyous time. But it's also a sobering time. And my prayers are with him."