- n either of two folds of skin that can be moved to cover or open the eye
his lids would stay open no longer
- n a movable top or cover (hinged or separate) for closing the opening at the top of a box, chest, jar, pan, etc.
he raised the piano lid
- n headdress that protects the head from bad weather; has shaped crown and usually a brim
- Ptosis is an ugly ailment of the upper eyelids.
- For the record, your pool was unexpectedly called for this trek 25 minutes after a travel lid and 10 minutes after a full lid were issued.
- Will Egyptian President Mubarak be able to hold the line, keep a lid on Gaza, when Israel itself can't? Count on it, Israel will do something to change the status quo in Gaza.
News & Articles
- U.S. oil boom helps thwart OPEC
Surging U.S. oil production and greater energy conservation are helping keep a lid on oil prices worldwide and may be limiting the sway OPEC holds over world markets.
June 19, 2013 - CNN Money
- Angels give away hats to honor All-Star OF Trout
Forget souvenir bats and bobbleheads and soap dispensers . The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim are upping the stadium giveaway ante tonight by doling out mesh hats that celebrate their All-Star outfielder—and, more to the point, his surname. Can’t decide whether the lid is absurd or magnificent?
June 19, 2013 - Sports Illustrated
- Efficiency will hold down storage growth, IDC says
Lean storage techniques will keep a lid on storage investments over the next few years, though the world's enterprises still are on track to buy 138 exabytes of storage system capacity in 2017, IDC said.
June 18, 2013 - TechWorld
- Keith Richards in San Francisco Chronicle
In a statement posted on the Rolling Stones Web site, Richards said: "The complete story is lost in the usual slanting! The truth of the matter is that I planted a sturdy English Oak. I took the lid off the box of ashes and he is now growing oak...
- Roger Ebert in FOXNews
The basic recipe is: throw everything in the pot and slam on the lid,said Ebert, who has battled cancer in his thyroid and salivary gland over the last eight years.
- Derryl Cousins in New York Times
Those were two pretty nasty pitches the young man threw,Cousins said. "Up here, you need to be a little better throwing strikes, and we just had to put a lid on it."