lichen : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n any of several eruptive skin diseases characterized by hard thick lesions grouped together and resembling lichens growing on rocks
- n any thallophytic plant of the division Lichenes; occur as crusty patches or bushy growths on tree trunks or rocks or bare ground etc.
- That puts a layer of ice on the lichen the reindeer feed on, and they end up underweight.
- When scientists try to explain the weatherworn, lichen-covered slabs, the activities of past diggers are as much hindrance as help.
- The manna that fed the Children of Israel has been variously explained as a gum that forms on desert trees, as algae that grow overnight on dew-covered ground, as a lichen that .
News & Articles
- Lichen (Teloschistaceae)
Scientific name: The taxonomy of lichens is a somewhat disputed system. Many 'lichenologists' would probably place most lichens found in Missouri in the fungus family Teloschistaceae, but that classification would likely be disputed by some.
June 27, 2013 - The Springfield News-Leader